“I’ll trade you a three-D tree for one human hostage.”
Says a boy to his sister, as they create the world of Traintopia.
“Okay!” she says merrily, over the wooden tracks.
And a shiny yellow peg-person becomes ready ransom
For a shiny, cookie-cutter conifer.
I sip my coffee, waking up after a night spent writing.
And marvel at the complexity of the worlds they weave.
“I got to pour the kerosene Dad bled from the lines
Into the tank,” he says, puffed up proud.
Then melts into me for a snuggle.
He’s at onc big and capable and sweetly innocent.
Nearly grown and yet, still, so young.
Untamed golden curls brush my chin as he nuzzles
Into my shoulder, just as he’s always done.
Grateful tears for the things that haven’t changed.
They rush outs to see Dad off to work
Under skies pregnant with rain and ca-runking geese.
Wild as those geese, Dancing-eyes cavorts in
As I am washing dishes and collecting laundry.
She hugs me, soft penny hair smelling of shampoo and sweat.
Soon she decides to make a documentary
With Midnight, the unwitting guinea pig.
Before long, it’s a production with props, two piggies,
A director, a camera boy, and a voice-over artist.
“We could be Hollywood stars!”, says she.
The day goes on, as evening settles over life.
Television with cuddles and squabbles on the couch.
There is joy and frustration, anger and laughter and tears
Our orbits intersecting and whirling away
In the course of we three living out our day.
There is a kind of peace and wonder
In living together, as friends.
- Invisible? – OctPoWriMo, Oct. 5 (shanjeniah.com)
- Coffee-Flavored Conversation – OctPoWriMo, Oct. 3 (shanjeniah.com)
- October Evening, 7pm…OctPoWriMo #1 (shanjeniah.com)
- School Bus Paradox – OctPoWriMo, Oct. 2 (shanjeniah.com)
- Enough – OctPoWriMo, Oct. 6 (shanjeniah.com)
- And…We’re off! -ROW80 Goals Update, 10/4/12 (shanjeniah.com)
- OctPoWriMo – 31 poems/31 days (susandanielseden.wordpress.com)