A weekly peek backwards and a look ahead, in my little corner of the blogosphere…
Last week in life:
- NaNoWriMo 2014 wrapped up with a Sunday write-in (I’ve found my new weekly writing group!). My final word count for November – 167,303 words, a huge new record for me! I attended the after party; then started catching up with the rest of life (blog comments, hometending, reading, and those homeschool reports); fell right back into the novel, including a best ever single day of 11,533 words, and set a writing plan for December.
- In other writing news, I finally posted the review I promised! And…cue the drum roll, please… I received payment for my short story, “A Splash of Red”, which means it will soon be appearing in the premiere issue of World Unknown Review! Don’t worry, I will post links when I have them!
And now, on to the week’s goodies!
Recently at shanjeniah:
- We skipped ahead to find Trip and T‘Pol after a long-anticipated first intimate encounter;Scent affects Ambassador Sarek’s perceptions; and the kids and I #SparkleFriday at the toy store.
- Fascinating research; and lots of imaginative, noodling, “what-iffing” fun.
- Tips to help us detoxify from the toxic people; and small acts of #SparkleFriday kindness that make a big impact.
- And this fun video!
And now, last week’s features…
- Sometimes, You Just Need to NaKnow, Y’Know? Pondering on-the-fly NaNo research, and how the Internet has reshaped my writing.
- “That Query is Illogical”: Trip tries humor to distract himself from a Vulcan temptation named T’Pol, with unexpected results.
- Uschooling Present: The prompt ‘present’ leads me to explore multiple facets of the word as they relate to our unschooling family.
- Leaving My NaNo-Nest: I write many, many words as I finish NaNoWriMo 2014; and look forward to a mellower December.
- A December Nest: I set some new goals for a new month…and keep on drafting!
My writing plan for December:
- Complete kids’ first quarter homeschool reports, due December 15. I’ve started my daughter’s report, as it’s the more complex of the two.
- Complete rough draft my NaNoWriMo project, The Earth Doth Move, another Star Trek: TOS/Enterprise crossover fan fiction – great progress this week; I’ve now got only 11 scenes left to write.
- Complete rough draft of my “dangling” fanfiction WIP from July 2013 CampNaNo, Perchance to Dream. – 10 scenes left to write. I’ll finish this one after I finish TEDM.
Complete and post the review I promiseda fellow writer a few weeks back. I finally posted this to Amazon! It was easier than I thought it would be. I will definitely be doing more of these, as I didn’t know how important they are for independent and self-publishing authors.
- Draft a basic writing plan for 2015, with a focus for each season/round. I’ve given this a little thought, and will rough out ideas this week.
And on the blog:
- For Coffee and Conversation: 33 Round Tuits Update – a couple of months ago, I posted 33 things I’d been “meaning to get around to”. This week, I take a look to see what I’ve gotten around to, and what’s still waiting.
- WIPpet Wednesday hosts another excerpt from my Story a Day May exploration, The IDIC Romance…this week, Trip gets the nerve to -sorta – proposition T‘Pol, which seems to make her decidedly uncomfortable…
- Stream of Consciousness Saturday (SoCS), Another stream-of-consciousness novel excerpt based on the weekly prompt, TBA.
- ROW80 Updates: My twice-weekly progress on A Round of Words in 80 Days. Hopefully, these will also be NaNo-centric!
In the Wilds of Internet-Land:
- 33 Untold Truths That Writers Know Too Well – Rega Jha at Buzz Feed offers this entertaining – and uncannily realistic- list.
- Teenagers shut down their brains when being criticised, according to study – Lamiat Saban at The Independent gives us yet another reason to treat adolescents – and everyone else – with respect.
- And, in honor of the Christmasy, Hannukah, Kwanzaa season at the end of the year…
- Another local NaNo write-in, a trip to visit our New Jersey friends, more writing, hometending, and maybe a swim with my girl…
Want to join in on the Second Serving Sunday fun? Here’s how!