A weekly peek backwards and a look ahead, in my little corner of the blogosphere…
Okay, maybe I should explain that title up there, and add a disclaimer…
I’ve never tried absinthe, and although I’ve been fascinated by it for decades, I have no current plans to. I have children, and they need me, and what I’ve read and heard from people I know who have tried it, it’s too intense for where I am in my life, especially since I indulge in alcohol of any kind less than a handful of times in a typical year…
That doesn’t mean that I’ll never try it. It won’t be that many more years before my kids are grown enough that they don’t need us in the same way…but today isn’t a ‘will she or won’t she” post.
Rather than debate, one of my characters leapt without looking at all, and the new absinthe in his life has led to all manner of new plot twists – and a LOT of words…seriously – a lot.
What about you? Have you ever tried something that seemed remarkable? Absinthe? Skydiving? Petting a tiger? Something completely different? If you’re a writer, do you throw you characters off the limb in ways the reader might not expect? Do you love seeing your character discover a new side of him/her/itself as it adjusts to the change?
Or is that my own particular brand of
fun writerly madness? Drop me a line and clue me in – I promise I’ll get caught up on comments after NaNo! ;D
And now, on to the week’s goodies!
Recently at shanjeniah:
- Life and writing offer surprises; and 50,000 words in 11 days…!A Chuck E. Cheese birthday party; a NaNoWriMo Write-in, getting ready for winter, and still more words.
- A walk to the New York State Museum; logic gets chucked out the airlock; a watery stream-of-consciousness bit of NaNoing.
- We explored the language of inspiration, and got a sneak peek at The Fifth Watcher.
- Not a big shopper? Make Black Friday shine and sparkle with kindness, instead! I research the Vulcan lyre.
- And a fun video!
And now, last week’s features…
- Trip and T‘Pol struggle their way toward something like equilibrium in “About a Thousand Years Ago…”.
- Intoxication and Intimacy: In a NaNo -oriented SoCS post, a young half-Vulcan cadet named Spock learns some new ways of connecting…using the prompt “IN”, and legal intoxicants.
- A Somewhat Off-Kilter Nest: An early party and odd scheduling collide, but I write many words…
- A Snowy Feather in my Nest: Recovering from the chaotic rhythm, and some big news!
My writing plan for November:
- Complete a rough draft my NaNoWriMo project, The Earth Doth Move, another Star Trek: TOS/Enterprise crossover fan fiction - the companion novel to my fantasy WIP,Blood and Breath. I’ve written many many words, and the story is surprising me with every scene. Into the second set of pinch points, sailing toward Act Three!
- Complete the review I promised a fellow writer a few weeks back, so it doesn’t get lost in the NaNo madness…I drafted this last Tuesday. I will revise as needed and post it to Amazon this Tuesday. =)
And on the blog:
- For Coffee and Conversation: Sometimes, You Just Need to NaKnow, Y’Know? I’ll explore the cowtrails I’ve encountered while drafting my NaNo novel; and reflect on how the internet has revolutionized my writing. Oh, and I want to hear about your strange research, too!
- WIPpet Wednesday hosts another excerpt from my Story a Day May exploration, The IDIC Romance…this week, Trip and T‘Pol offer up a special treat, because Thanksgiving.
- Stream of Consciousness Saturday (SoCS), Another NaNo-centric stream-of-consciousness novel excerpt based on the weekly prompt, TBA.
- ROW80 Updates: My twice-weekly progress on A Round of Words in 80 Days. Hopefully, these will also be NaNo-centric!
In the Wilds of Internet-Land:
- My research on absinthe led me to these lovely absinthe spoons. Whether I ever balance sugar on them or not, these little masterpieces were a feast for my eyes.
- It’s NaNo Time! At the end of the month, I’m going to treat myself to a cool NaNo poster!
- Van Gogh was an absinthe fan. In his honor, I offer this domino tribute video!
- Tomorrow, the kids and I are going to celebrate a bit of unseasonably warm weather by going for a swim, and maybe a walk at a park or playground.
- Tuesday, there’s another NaNo Write-In, and Thursday, we’ll celebrate my Accomplice having the day off, and go to a local buffet restaurant, where everyone can eat what they like, since half the members of our family aren’t fans of traditional Thanksgiving fare…
- And then, I write like a madwoman till the end of the month! BWAHAHA!
Want to join in on the Second Serving Sunday fun? Here’s how!