Have you ever had the best of intentions, but found yourself spread just a bit too thin to manage everything you’d hoped to do?
Yes, that’s me, over the last two weeks. I meant to do a Sunday Post, both weeks, but…
Well, I was writing, and reading, and celebrating, and, today, I’m mourning when I might have been celebrating. It’s the eleventh birthday of our second child, Elijah…and we are now twelve days from the eleventh anniversary of his death.
What makes it even stranger is that Tuesday was our daughter’s tenth birthday, filled with all the goodness a birthday should have.
For me, July is just like that. Four days after that anniversary, I will have a birthday, too. The entire month is something like surfing, trying to balance on the surging and ebbing waves of emotion.
I am a person who prefers an optimistic outlook. I choose to be grateful for the twelve days we had with our beautiful little boy, and the profound affect he’s had on the course of our life as a family. I choose to allow the grief to wash through me, but not to wallow in it. Death is an inevitable companion to life, like the shadows are to the sunlight.
That being said, here’s what’s up in my little corner of the blogosphere…
Recently at shanjeniah:
- Soul Prompts Cover Reveal Party An exciting look at the lovely cover of Morgan Dragonwillow‘s upcoming book, which will help us connect with our soul’s desire.
- Projects, or People? Looks at how we, as adults, treat children.
- And Then She Was Ten… A celebration of a decade’s worth of my daughter, and some musings on the experiences of the day.
- Disparate Bindings; Tangled Pulls: A snippet from my WIP,The IDIC Romance, my Story A Day May project. This one exploresT’Pol‘s initial reaction to a compulsory assignment to the human ship, Enterprise NX-01 – and to the Chief Engineer. It’s the final revised installment of Story #3,“Vermilion Threads”.
- A Taste of Sole?This snippet is the first fromStory #4, “Tigress T’Pol”. Trip Tucker is torn between attraction for and annoyance with the beautiful, arrogant little Vulcan who walked into his life and started bossing him around…
- Are We Getting Away From Getting Away?, in which I explore whether we will be taking a planned camping trip, or bowing out in favor of the comforts of the little cocoon called ‘home’.
- Body Language, a Star Trek fan fiction excerpt, written stream-of-consciousness style, with the theme “body”.
- Round 2 Retrospective: Just what is says; a look back at Round 2.
- Stretching Into the ROW – Round 3 Goals: A new round brings new objectives…and new energy!
- A Festive Stretch: My first update, circa July 9.
I’ve completed the rough draft of my first July CampNaNoWriMo WIP, The Stars Are Fire. This week, I’ll be continuing with my second WIP, Perchance to Dream, a Star Trek: TOS/ Enterprise fanfiction novel, and the other half of this duology.
- For Coffee and Conversation, I’ll be reflecting on life, death, and the space between.
- WIPpet Wednesday will host an excerpt from my Story a Day May exploration, The IDIC Romance –I’ll be picking up where I left off last week, with the second installment of
- “Tigress T’Pol”, as Trip struggles to come to terms with the reality of T’Pol – which is very different from his fantasies.
- And forStream of Consciousness Saturday (SoCS), I’ll be doing just what the title suggests – writing a stream-of-consciousness post on the weekly prompt.
- ROW80 Updates: Sunday and Wednesday are my days for updating my goals progress.
In the Wilds of Internet-Land:
- I’ve been readingmore T’Pol/Trip fan fiction, and at some point I’ll be sharing some of the best. Not quite yet, though!
- The Boy From The Moon – Speakeasy #169: Celine Jeanjean shares this lovely and evocative little flash fiction about a girl, a boy, a woman, a toddler – and magic.
- Princesses: AmyBeth Inverness shares a squirreled-away treasure, and it breathes with joy and new life!
- Soul to Soul: I don’t usually share my own posts here. Today, an exception. I wrote this poem for Elijah, and want to share.
- It was a busy “weekend” – ours is Monday and Tuesday – since I squeezed my workout in a day early, so that I could take my daughter out for a Girl’s Day to celebrate her tenth birthday. We took in a movie, did a little shopping, and went out to dinner. =)
- I completed July’s CampNaNo challenge.
- I pinned to my Pinterest boards for the first time in months!