Tonight, I am home alone.
With the television – music and inane advertising,
The pleasant and the irksome, in turns.
The rattlehum of the heater bouncing gently
Up and down the hall.
Predictably warm, and comforting on a chill night.
The rattling ting of the dog’s tags as he moves
The guinea pigs‘ deep purrs and high squeaks.
Remind me that this solitude includes them.
The slliiissshhhthump of hot water
hitting a plastic milk jug, and the
so-soft pip-pop of newly born bubbles.
The slightly discordant symphony of
Our motley collection of dishes
clank tinkle sliding into order again.
And, woven through and all around,
The memory echoes of the music
That most defines my life.
It is the music of laughter,
Of giggles, and squeals, and sometimes snorts
Bubbling, exploding, surprising.
It runs through our lives and our souls
Like a flowing river, alive, mutable
Its song burbling mirth.
It is our nourishment and sustenance
The force that connects us one to the rest.
Our not-so-secret superpower.
- October Evening, 7pm…OctPoWriMo #1 (shanjeniah.com)
- Coffee-Flavored Conversation – OctPoWriMo, Oct. 3 (shanjeniah.com)
- Invisible? – OctPoWriMo, Oct. 5 (shanjeniah.com)
- School Bus Paradox – OctPoWriMo, Oct. 2 (shanjeniah.com)
- Here, Today… – OctPoWriMo, Oct. 7 (shanjeniah.com)
- Husband Humanity – OctPoWriMo, Oct. 8 (shanjeniah.com)
- #OctPoWriMo Poem 9/31 Is It Morning? (juliejordanscott.typepad.com)
- Enough – OctPoWriMo, Oct. 6 (shanjeniah.com)
- Activities and Projects, October 4-7, 2012 (shanjeniah.com)
- Delving Deep and Breaking Through – ROW80 Update 10/7/12 (shanjeniah.com)